Bivol vs Smith Heads to Purse Bids After Talks Collapse
The WBO has set an August 27 purse bid in Puerto Rico for Dmitry Bivol's mandatory defence against interim champ Callum Smith.
By FightSplit Editorial Team · Published Aug 21, 2026

Dmitry Bivol's next fight is going to auction. After the WBO ordered the light-heavyweight champion to defend against interim titleholder Callum Smith, the two camps burned through a 20-day negotiation window plus extensions without agreeing terms. So the sanctioning body has done what it always does when the money talk stalls: it's calling a purse bid, scheduled for August 27 at its head offices in San Juan, Puerto Rico, and streamed live on its official platforms.
This is a genuine mandatory, not a nice-to-have. Bivol (25-1, 12 KO) holds the IBF and WBO straps, and Smith (31-2, 22 KO) sits at WBO #2 after earning interim status the hard way. The oddity here is that both men fight under the same promotional roof — Eddie Hearn's Matchroom — yet still couldn't get a signature done in-house. When two Matchroom fighters end up at purse bids, that tells you the split, not the matchmaking, was the sticking point.
How Smith Earned His Spot
Smith's ticket to this position came in a fight-of-the-year contender against Joshua Buatsi last year, a unanimous-decision win that handed the Croydon man the first loss of his career. Buatsi has since rebuilt at #5 with a majority-decision nod over Zach Parker, but Smith held his ground as next in line. The former super-middleweight champion has been waiting on the full light-heavyweight title ever since.
Why Bivol Isn't Chasing Beterbiev
The more interesting subplot is what Bivol isn't doing. Most expected the Russian to pursue a trilogy with Artur Beterbiev, with whom he's dead level at 1-1 after two meetings — Bivol taking the rematch by majority decision. Beterbiev (21-1, 20 KO) carries a fearsome finishing résumé, and that third fight is the one the division actually wants. But chasing it likely meant surrendering the WBO belt, and Bivol has chosen to hold all three straps instead.
Bivol comes into this off a comfortable return in May, outpointing IBF mandatory Michael Eifert after a long spell of inactivity. That win shook off the ring rust; Smith is a considerably tougher assignment. The WBO says the purse split and full terms will land in a formal notice later, so we'll know soon exactly what the bidding floor looks like — and whether Matchroom simply wins the auction and books the fight it couldn't paper the normal way.
Related / Boxing

Fury Says Fury-Joshua 'Doesn't Look Like It's Going to Happen'
Fury blames Eddie Hearn and Anthony Joshua for holding out for more money, warning the long-awaited fight could collapse before it's signed.
Aug 21, 2026

Holyfield Says a Prime Mike Tyson Is the One Man Who Could Trouble Usyk
The two-time Tyson conqueror won't call a fantasy fight against Oleksandr Usyk, now 25-0 and undisputed at heavyweight.
Aug 21, 2026

Tony Bellew Calls Prime Mike Tyson the Most Ruthless Fighter Ever
Bellew points to the 91-second Spinks demolition in 1988 as proof Tyson was a 'perfect machine' — over Duran, over everyone.
Aug 21, 2026