Khamzat Chimaev Breaks Silence on Namo Fazil's Fight-Week Ambush Claims
Fazil says a group of 15 confronted him before his DWCS loss to Kaik Brito, snapping an eight-fight win streak. Chimaev's cryptic reply landed Thursday.
By FightSplit Editorial Team · Published Aug 20, 2026

Namo Fazil went to Contender Series on Tuesday riding an eight-fight win streak. He left it flattened in the third round by Kaik Brito, and then dropped a story that turned a routine developmental card into a genuine flashpoint. Fazil claims he was confronted by around 15 men — who he described as Chechen — during his weight cut, with two of them allegedly slapping him. On Thursday, former UFC middleweight champion Khamzat Chimaev appeared to answer.
Chimaev's post never named Fazil directly, but the timing left little to the imagination. He wrote that when two men have a problem, they should settle it between themselves rather than let the media stir up bad blood between nations. He framed Chechens and Kurds as brothers united by faith, said he wasn't happy with what had happened, and added a warning: those who speak badly should expect consequences. Read it however you like — it wasn't a denial.
What Actually Happened That Week
Dana White fed the fire without putting out much fact. The UFC boss acknowledged that "some shit" went down at the fighter hotel before the event but declined to spell it out. That's the extent of the official line so far — no names attached to the alleged confrontation, no confirmation of who did what to whom. What's not in dispute is the result: Fazil got knocked out cold in a wild, back-and-forth headliner.
Fazil, 29, has hinted that the fight-week incident affected his performance. That's a hard thing to prove, and it's the sort of claim that gets picked apart. But it's also worth remembering how he arrived here. He turned heads in May with a second-round submission over Jake Babian on the Rousey vs. Carano MVP card, one of the wins that built that eight-fight run before Brito ended it.
Why Chimaev's Words Carry Weight
Chimaev isn't a bystander here — he's one of the most recognizable names in the middleweight division, and any statement from him lands with volume. His decision to respond at all, even obliquely, tells you the story has legs beyond a single DWCS card. The line about consequences is the one that'll keep this alive.
For now, this is a war of allegations and vague references rather than confirmed events. Fazil says he was ambushed. White says something happened. Chimaev says people should sort their differences quietly — while making it clear he's aware of the noise. Whether anything concrete emerges, or this fades back into fight-week folklore, the two-day gap between the loss and the response suggests nobody's letting it go just yet.
Related / UFC

Chris Padilla Wants Main Card Billing, and He's Not Waiting Politely
Padilla is unbeaten in five UFC fights (4-0-1) heading into Sacramento. Now he's telling anyone with a mic he belongs above the prelims.
Aug 20, 2026

Mike Perry Picks Dillon Danis Over BKFC Return, Feldman Explains
Perry hasn't fought bare-knuckle since October 2025. Now he's chasing an Aug. 29 MMA bout with Danis while a Darren Till showdown waits on ice.
Aug 20, 2026

Edson Barboza Walks Away at 40 After 15 Years and 33 UFC Fights
Barboza retires on a four-fight skid, but leaves with a 24-15 record, one of the sport's great highlight reels, and zero regrets.
Aug 20, 2026