Bam Rodriguez's Team Says Nobody From Inoue's Camp Has Called
Robert Garcia is fine with Inoue's March 2027 deadline for a super-bantamweight showdown — he just says no one has actually picked up the phone.
By FightSplit Editorial Team · Published Aug 19, 2026

For all the noise about a Naoya Inoue–Jesse 'Bam' Rodriguez superfight, one detail keeps getting lost: nobody from Inoue's side has actually reached out to Rodriguez's team. That's the word from trainer-manager Robert Garcia, who says he's happy to work inside the March 2027 window Inoue floated — he just hasn't heard a thing directly.
The pressure is real because Inoue, 33-0 with 27 knockouts, isn't planning to sit at 122lbs forever. 'The Monster' made his seventh defence of the undisputed super-bantamweight crown in May, sweeping Junto Nakatani (32-1, 24 KO) on the cards in an all-Japanese main event. He's since made clear he won't wait past the first quarter of next year for Rodriguez, with a featherweight move looming if the fight doesn't materialise.
Rodriguez, for his part, arrived at the party from below. In June he outgrew the smaller weights and dethroned WBA bantamweight champion Antonio Vargas (19-2-1) with a sixth-round stoppage, becoming a three-division world champion in the process. On paper it's the fresh challenger versus the established pound-for-pound king — exactly the kind of matchup that sells itself.
The Communication Gap
Garcia told Ring Magazine that he's fine with the deadline in principle, but that no one from Inoue's camp has approached him to gauge interest or lock a date. He said the interest is there on his end — Rodriguez wants the fight — but he isn't chasing anyone to move timelines around. So far it's all been talk conducted through the press rather than across a negotiating table.
There's also a wrinkle in Garcia's preferred path. He'd like one more outing for Rodriguez at 118lbs before any jump to 122, ideally in November, and he named WBO bantamweight champion Christian Medina as the target. Medina, 27-4 with 19 knockouts, is coming off a unanimous-decision win over Adrian Curiel — a genuine title fight, not a tune-up.
That's the tension in a nutshell. Inoue wants an answer by March; Garcia wants a stay-busy title defence first, then the big one. Neither position is unreasonable, and neither has been formally reconciled. Until someone actually places the call, the biggest fight in the lighter divisions remains a headline in search of a contract.
Related / Boxing

Johnny Fisher Lands Michael Pirotton for Zuffa Boxing London Debut
Fisher headlines the Copper Box Arena on September 26 against a Belgian with a 12-2 record — his first fight since leaving Matchroom after 15 bouts.
Aug 19, 2026

Hearn: Fury vs Joshua Is Drifting to New York, and He Hates It
A signed UK contract, a month of stalemate, and a promoter admitting the biggest all-British fight in years is slipping across the Atlantic.
Aug 19, 2026

Hamzah Sheeraz Blasts WBO's Mandatory Order as 'Corruption'
The unbeaten WBO super-middleweight champ, 23-0-1, is fuming over an ordered defense against a fighter who tested positive for a banned substance last November.
Aug 19, 2026